Friday, May 20, 2011

Last Post




Wow. What an amazing time it has been. I am so glad that I decided to do this blog not only to share everything with whoever reads this, but also as something for me to look back on later and be reminded of everything I’ve experienced. I have had the most incredible experience, but am totally ready to come home. I have never been away from home or family or friends this long and there’s so much to look forward to at home! I won’t actually be home for another week though- I will be in Europe for six days until I come home and I’m so excited about that too!

This last post will be about things that I have come to love about Nairobi:

1- The Canadian second-hand clothing that I see on a daily basis. Did you know that Canada’s second most important industry in Kenya and East Africa in general is second-hand clothing? Not a day has gone by where I haven’t seen a Timbits jersey on a grown man, or a Vancouver Canucks t-shirt, or a Hockey Canada vest, or a tacky Niagra Falls, ON shirt on the backs of a fellow Nairobian. These are such sweet little reminders of home and I still get excited every time I see a Kenyan unknowingly wearing a maple leaf.    


2- My coworkers at Maji.- My internship at Maji has been so enjoyable and I credit this to the fun atmosphere that is constant at the Maji offices and on trips to the field. All of the employees are so wonderful and helpful to us interns, but they also treat each other with so much respect and fondness. There is no noticeable hierarchy at the organization. Everyone, from the executive director, to the driver is treated with equal respect. The employees at Maji are so competent at what they do but also o much fun. I, like everyone else in the office, laugh all the time at work. Despite the fun atmosphere, Maji also does incredible work. They really are a leader in their field and it has been wonderful to work for such an important organization. I don’t want to bore you with a bunch of development talk but once I get home I can talk your ear off about why Maji is doing development so right. The Director of Maji, Janet, is an incredible woman; she is an amazing leader who fosters a great work atmosphere. At staff meetings she is incredible at including everyone and getting great insights out of everyone. I really admire her and will miss working with her and all of the Maji employees.    

     3- The Vision Sisters- you might remember that this is the women’s group from Kibera that I work closely with. I will miss attending their weekly meetings and chatting with their members. They are an inspirational group of ladies and I have high hopes for the future of their group and their Women in Crisis Centre. I wish I could stay longer to see construction of the centre finish and the implementation of the centre’s programs. On our last Wednesday meeting, one of the ladies’ grandsons presented us with a present: beaded bracelets with Kenyan and Canadian flags on them. The lady, Mary, had been talking to him about us for the past six weeks so he made them for us as a thank you.





I will also miss the organized chaos that is Nairobi, how friendly Nairobians are, and discovering new things about Nairobi and its surroundings every weekend. On Thursday, we drove past the Nairobi National Park on our way back from a workshop with local youth groups. We went to the NNP on the first day in Nairobi with the program. Seeing the park made me think back on the past four months and think about how much I’ve seen and experienced, and how much I’ve learned and changed. Thanks for sharing everything with me! 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I have so looked forward to your intelligent, empathetic commentary about life in East Africa and most recently, your more intimate view of Nairobi. What a great journey! Thanks for bringing us along. I feel like I've been there along with you. I will miss checking in with you but I'm happy you're coming home!

    ReplyDelete